Monday, July 19, 2010

Notes of Question and Inspiration

I wrote this note a while back for my home town... now, im sharing with any and everybody:

Wow! Life is going by so quick for many of us. Wouldn' you agree.t We have either past or nearing our 30th birthdays. At the most, I guess we only have 70 years or so to live and that’s only for those who really want to be cursed. I have always said I would live until I was 100, and well, if I don’t… I’ll just die. (get it?)

Nevertheless, I am writing this letter for many reasons.

First, many of us have children and some of them are already in Jr. High, can you remember our days walking those hallways and it being a sin to say the word corn? I think the school system is good, but I honestly believe each year the system has lost a little more soul as we take God out of our schools and replace him with evolution and tolerance, yet, i say "we must be tolerant, for in a free country we should have the right to believe as we will, as long as it is moral and doesn't steal from others."

I have one favor for to ask of you parents, GET INVOLVED, as a teacher, I say don’t let the teacher do your job. We are there to educate and to challenge the child to go further than he or she ever imagined. To follow his or her dreams and to know with God all things are possible. We are servants for your children but we are not the total answer. Your children are looking at your actions more than anyone else.

I came across an interesting scenario the other day, a man in his 70’s looked at me and said, “What have I done wrong?” He was asking why I think he and his family are so separated. He knew the answer, but he wanted to hear it from someone else. He was always off to work; he was a rich business man. And, I say good for him. He worked hard and succeeded. Yes! Man should work and work hard, this is an American virtue, but to sacrifice the closeness with his son for material goods seems to have been the trouble. He has lost what he wants the most, a real relationship with his family. Later, I talked to a younger man, he said, I would rather be poor and spend a week with my son talking about the Bible and have small meals, than drive a big fancy car and live in a nice big house. This spoke huge language to my heart.

I compared the two, and I concluded that they both have it right, but there has to be a balance, God has to be first, family has to be second, and work has to be third. YET! You must work for the family to function. We live in a country were people typically work 40 hours a week and then they have two days off. Those two days are sacred to each family. What we do in those two days will in a sense destine what our children become. I know this isn’t true for every family, and everyone has their own unique set of values, but I think and believe whole heartedly that Sundays are the day that we are supposed to thank and worship God for all he has given us. Even if you have to work that day, I ask you to remember what American freedoms stand for and that they were built on Biblical principles. Without God our nation will fall. With the wrong God, our nation will be destroyed.

As I begin to transition here in my 30’s my eyes are opening and my childhood memories make me both laugh and cry. Actually, I find myself tearing up easily these days, at the stupidest things too, am I alone? Truly our days are numbered. And, as my first son is about to be born, I have many doubts and many concerns. I have the responsibility to care for this him and my beautiful wife. A man is the head of his house and yes, the women are the neck, and as Joshua put it, “As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”

These are my thoughts for today, I felt compelled to share them with a specific group of people those from my home town. To all my people in Mount Juliet, I love and miss you all, never hesitate to call or contact me, I am not that hard to find.

-jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment